Saturday, December 5, 2009

Any problems microchipping a shar pei puppy, due to wrinkles in neck?

We just got a little shar pei (wrinkle dog), and need him to be microchipped, but I have heard that the microchip sits under the skin at the nape of the neck. Shar peis have all that extra skin, so is the chip going to move around or cause cancer (have heard that 1% causes cancer at chip insertion site).Any problems microchipping a shar pei puppy, due to wrinkles in neck?
I'm sure that he will be fine! I never micro chipped my Shar Pei - he passed in September :( . My parents have 2 (and 1 that passed away) so we have PLENTY of experience with the breed.





I do have advice for you regarding your shots.


Don't let your vet talk you into extra shots for your pei. Sometimes they have allergic reactions to shots and it causes a large mass under their skin the size of a softball. Some shots are known to cause cancer - if I could do it again I wouldn't listen to my vet and give all those extra shots.





Also should you get your dog fixed be careful about what anesthesia the vet uses - My parents dog had a really bad reaction and had to have eye surgery and two of my dogs litter mates died.





Good luck with your Peibaby! They are fantastic, intelligent dogs! Just keep up with the health problems because if you don't it could cost you money! (Trust me!)Any problems microchipping a shar pei puppy, due to wrinkles in neck?
The microchip is implanted into the muscles in the neck below the skin. It will be fine.





The studies done that show tumors from microchips were done in mice. Dogs are not big mice. With all the chips that have been implanted into dogs, there have not been a sharp spike in tumors in the neck region associated with microchips. It is far more likely that your dog would get lost and euthanized at a shelter because they could not find you than of your dog dieing of cancer caused by the microchip.
No, they pinch the skin and inject it and it sits in there and doesn't float around. I've never heard of cancer at the injection site.
If your vet is able to give him his vaccines in the folds of skin in his neck, then they can chip him in the same area, no problem. Yes, there is a small incidence of cancer or infection at the chip ';site';, so just keep an eye on it until healed...





Happy puppy! :)
A little extra skin will just make it easier to place. The cancer risk is a huge debate as there isn't any solid evidence. The chances of your dog getting lost or stolen is greater than any cancer risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
rate my teacher